Thread: M3 vs cayman S
View Single Post
      08-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #40
griff
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct

I have owned both these cars and bought both without even driving them.After reading every magazine report on the cayman s i thought someone must be right.Soi flew to Edinborough and drove one back.The first few miles back i wondered what i had done as they are useless below 4k.After a few more miles i was very pleased with the purchase.I went to the the nurburgring twice in the car,once with standard suspension and once with fully adjustable kw suspension.My friend at the time had a bmw csl and had done 5 24 hour races there and also done some instruction there.The csl was in a different league than my cayman even with road tyres and even when i put the kw suspension on the bmw was in a different league.

After this i decided to change to a new m3 which i have owned for 4 weeks and have just returned from the ring and to say im impressed with the car is an understatement.The performance with road tyres not cups was amazing the only thing that was crap were the brakes but that is in hand.Why bmw put crap brakes on its performance models is a mystery especially when they are tested at the ring.Mine lasted 1 and a half laps before my discs warped.
Appreciate 0