Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I can imagine that it got frustrating. Its one thing to be slow...I'm OK with that. Its another thing to be slow and oblivious. I heard in an advanced group meeting someone say..."Don't be all over my bumper, cut me a break!" Ok...so basically you can just not check your mirrors and have no idea what's going on around you. Wait...aren't we in the advanced group?
Not to thread jack, but usually the reason for that conversation is because some faster advanced drivers seem to feel the need to stay right on someone's ass, to advertise the fact that you are holding them up, and to show how impatient they are. I think most drivers in advanced, at least ones I've run with, know when a faster driver is coming up, and do a pretty good job of pointing by at the next passing zone. I've had a few of these drivers behind me, and absolutely hate it, since I usually need to alter my own braking, for fear of braking too hard and having them run right in the back of me.
I find that some are overly sensitive about having someone on their ass. Racing is an individual sport...DE's are a team activity.

If you're going through passing zones with someone on your butt...I'd take a hard look at yourself. You can't change what the guy behind you is doing but I'm sure YOU (not pointed at anyone here) can change something. Mirror taps? I believe that is BMWCCA standard protocol...it's in their 2011 instructor manual.

Typically I will close the gap and present myself in the side view mirror and then back off. No point in crowding the guy if we're not in a passing zone. Then I'll close the gap again as we approach the next one. I'm usually in a pass anywhere with a point scenario. Very few instances where I get slowed significantly...because we all play together. There are some out there that make you earn that pass. But if there is someone behind you that wasn't there before...they ARE faster than you.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0