Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
Get new bolts and nuts for the rack.
Why? Are they stretch to yield?

Quote:
I did not replace the o-rings on the hard lines...didn't realize there were any, but I did replace the copper washers for the hard lines going into the rack. If you go on real oem, they do not list the part number (they are blank) for those o rings. What I did was look at the real oem listing for the e82 1M. That car had the same exact steering rack as the M3 and they matched and fit perfectly.
Does anyone know where I can find the sizes for these? Real OEM doesn't show the end of the hardlines that connects to to the rack. I assume there are o-rings or a gasket there.

Quote:
Where you will need o-rings is the two o-rings on the servo controller.

I think what was included fit one of them and then I bought an assortment of o-rings from "The O-Ring Store" and obviously only ended up using a couple

7 x 2mm X 18mm (NBR) Buna-N 70 Duro Metric O-Ring (N2.00X018) $0.56
5 x 1.5mm X 17mm (NBR) Buna-N 90 Duro Metric O-Ring (H1.50X017) $0.50
5 x 1.5mm X 18mm (NBR) Buna-N 70 Duro Metric O-Ring (N1.50X018) $0.50
5 x 1mm CS X 18mm ID (NBR) Buna-N 70 Duro Metric O-Ring (N1.00X018) $0.55
So which if these did you end up using? And where exactly?

My rack is leaking from the pinion seal at the top. I believe the fluid is trickling down from the top and covering the hardline "plate" as well, which at first was where I thought the leak was coming from (see pic). It still might be leaking from there and if im gonna have the rack out I wanna re-seal these just in case.

I was able to do some digging into the pinion seal. I found this info on it:

NOK (manufacturer)
20-30-5 (dimensions)
ZF 0770 080 538 (part number)
APO981E (manufacturing number?)
22 (no clue)

These are all the markings on the seal. I cannot find anyone who sells it though, which is a bit surprising considering its a NOK / ZF part.

This is the "plate" I mentioned earlier. If you look where the hex bolt is (side profile) you can see the small hardlines on the plate too. Just above this is the pinion seal, which you can barley make to if you know what to look for.

Name:  IMG_1453.jpg
Views: 4553
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1454.jpg
Views: 4179
Size:  169.3 KB
Attached Images

Appreciate 0