View Single Post
      04-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
8lbs of unsprung weight makes a difference. Maybe not something you'd feel daily driving, but it makes a difference in a more responsive front end where some your steering occurs IMO.

Form a performance perspective, floating rotors not only keep heat from transferring to your hub (I've tracked my MZ4 Coupe heavily for 10 years on Racing Brake 2 piece floating rotors), thus keep going your wheel bearing in better shape for longer, but the openings in the mounting hardware area allow more ambient air to enter the rotor cooling vanes, effectively manage heat better (although the 2 piece rotors from BMW already do this). The OTHER big benefit is the ability to change rotor rings rather than throw the whole rotor away.

Can't speak for others, but I've found a moderate improvement over stock MZ4 rotors when I switched to a lighter 2 piece slotted rotor that allowed for reusing the hub hardware. In the 10 years tracking and 2 sets of front rotors, I saved about $500 in hardware cost too.

It is definitely more of a LONG term investment.
I could not have typed it any better!
Appreciate 0