magus4286
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspiritM3 View Post
So I've got some of this figured out with help from Bimmerspeed.

The PDM30 should not get maxed out as the entire car should never see a combined 100A load. And all of the higher load modules/components don't draw current in line with their corresponding fuses. I don't have the data on that yet, but intend to gather standard and peak loads. Also the 20A MOTEC outputs can handle a higher peak current than 20A, but I don't expect that to occur- we will see what the actual loads end up being.

The ABS will be stand alone from the DME and we aren't using any of the DSC functions. That's been coded out of the DME. It will communicate via CAN with the DME and be powered direct from the PDM.

The OBD2 port will stay and we will wire up CAN and power to that for diagnostics and we expect to get full connection to ISTA.

I'll have more to share when Chris Brown is here next week and finalizes the blueprint and integration.
Good stuff! That is confidence inspiring.

Did a bunch of data collection with an amp clamp meter on some of the bigger circuits. For example the throttle actuators are on a 30A circuit and they did actually pull 22-24A, but only for the fraction of a second when they fully open and close the throttles (captured using a peak function on the meter), otherwise almost nothing. So the "inrush" rating for the power outputs is what will really matter most.

If you do get some continuous + peak inrush numbers on some of the bigger circuits, like the coils and DME 30A fused circuits, especially under heavy load (e.g. 8k RPM) I'd be interested in seeing those. On my PDM I only have 4x each of 35A (and these have other features that I need for other things) and 20A circuits, but 12 each of 15A and 10A. So anything that will actually be happy on those 15A outputs (which can handle 80A inrush) will be a big win.

Also confirmed for myself that re-wiring the OBDII port to the PTCAN directly still enabled full diagnostics from INPA and ISTA.

Did Randy code out the DSC settings? I figured that would have been a DSC unit coding thing not DME, but maybe the DME manages the defaults? I was just going to install a momentary button for DSC off, but having it off by default would be nice.
E90 ///M3 ('08) Racecar build | Fire Orange | 6MT | MCS 3W w/ rear coilover | Alcon BBK | Akrapovic Ti + BW Racing X-Pipe | do88 cooling | All the aero | Solid almost everything | CF Roof | TA16 and SM-10 wheels | AiM PDM32
Appreciate 0