View Single Post
      06-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
q2bruiser
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Drove an IS-F - Almost Bought It

One of the local Lexus dealers had a few IS-F(s) come in so i went down to check it out and compare with my 08 E90M. I drove one twice ... for a total of about 45 minutes. I almost made a deal for one. More on that later. Here is my review.

While the styling is questionable, the performance is not. Lexus got the F's V8 right. Though it is based on the block driving the LS series, it is throughly massaged with forged internals, etc and it is butter smooth and wicked quick. The engine has a butterfly in the intake and when it opens around 3500 RPM the thing emits a beastly growl which is more than addictive. I just kept nailing it and nailing it. The sales guy was grinning as much as I. The one engine complaint I have is what seems to be an artificially low red line ...about 6800 RPM. I kept bouncing off the rev limiter. It comes so quickly and so smoothly that you just don't want to shift.

The transmission/paddle shifter combo is first rate. You would never know it is an automatic. It shifts quickly, smoothly, and always seems to be in the right gear. In paddle mode, it is more fun that a room full of Brazilian dancing girls. I drove that thing so hard I am sure the salesman's butt cheeks ripped right thru the leather.

The ride is very good ... planted, surefooted, firm, yet comfortable. Cornering is flat, quick steering, and nary a hint of any cabin looseness and nothing even close to a squeak. While the steering is not quite as communicative as the M's, it is very, very good.

The interior quality is top notch. Great seats ... firm, bolstered (more so than the M), and comfortable. Very nice.

So, I was going to buy the thing ... was just hooked on the V8 and all that torque. Was ready to run Tallageda in the thing. The Motor is that good. But, leave it to the sales manager to screw up the deal. So we agreed upon a price ... had the printout to prove it. When we were getting to the nitty gritty, the price suddenly went up by $175 dollars. Pissed me off to no end. I will NOT do business with a company which tries to sneak things in like that. Got up from finance and walked out the door. I won't name the dealer, but if you want to know you can PM me.

All in all, the IS-F is a great car. Once they get rid of that JDM crap rear end with the quad stacked pipes, there will be lots of folks buying the thing.

Later.
James

2008 E90 M3

When the center of the universe is found, many will be surprised to learn they are not it.
Appreciate 0