04-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #197
gte869h
Upgraded from e46fanatics
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ldats View Post
gte869h any update on the 292 cam install?
I am happy to report the cams are installed, modified VANOS (limited) is in as recommended from Steve (Carbahn) who originally built the stroker, and engine is mechanically timed perfect per TIS instructions. New stem seals (BMW); and springs, titanium retainers, and keepers from Schrick are all installed.

Things I found during the teardown....the bank 1 exhaust cam was out of spec on timing, a broken factory valve spring on cyl 2 exhaust, and a broken intake spring on cyl 6 intake. The car had no misses, only occasional random misfires at WOT in the upper end of the rpm band on track days...which I thought was an ignition issue or tuning but now know better, lmao. If we didn’t have the lifter bucket design on the valvetrain, I’m sure the broken pieces would have gotten loose and cause catastrophic damage. The valve spring break point was at the same location on both springs.

I baseline dyno’d the car just before teardown (400whp, 330 ft-lb) which we agreed was on the low side for the motor, but I suspect is now because of the as found mechanical issues.

Just got my powder coated valve covers back, some HKS plugs, and will finish the mechanical work this weekend.

What’s left...getting a tuner lined up. I have tons of photos and will post the entire before and after when done. Hopefully I can get to the numbers near SYT_shadow, but my motor has seen a few years of use and many a track day.

Last mechanical upgrade for the car...I have a 4.10 Motorsports gearset that’s been REM polished along with carrier bearings, and a Wavetrac pumpkin.
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11490.00
CSBM52722.50
//steve\\1074.00
oolas3388.00