Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
In general, the R7 is faster than the R6 and more durable used properly. Tehy run wider than the sames size R6, in general, also. One does not simply bolt on any new tire and get to optimum, and R7 setup is a bit different than R6 (Some cars it needs more camber, R6 had a more rounded shoulder, they went more square on R7 for instance). You should try it too. The BFG's are very good no doubt. I'd agree they're the best "DOT slick" on the market right now on the speed/value quotient. They seem to wear really well for their speed. But, I think there are a lot of SCCA National Championships Runoffs results that tend to argue against the BFG being the fastest DOT tire on a ground pounder like ours. Hoosier contingency awards are way better, but the wheel to wheel racers do tend to converge on what is faster.

The 295 Hoosier has a wider section width and narrower tread width. And it's nearly half an inch taller, which means it's still a bigger tire overall than the 285 R1S.

When you're talking about these two tires though, you really cannot go wrong.
I always value your input Richbot! (I just gave you props in another posting.) Perhaps I'll give the R7 a shot someday.

However, regarding tire widths, tirerack disagrees with you on tread width. The tread width of 285 R1S is wider than 295 A7. Here's what tirerack says: the tread width of the 285 R1S is 11.3" (I just went out to my garage and hand measured a scrub unmounted R1S at 11.4"), and they list Hoosier A7 at 10.8", and the R7 (which I have never seen in person) is 10.7". Tirerack says the section width is .2 wider on Hoosier, but I'm telling ya, when you have them side by side, you don't even need a ruler to see it. I have had 285/30/18 R1S sitting on the floor right next to Hoosier A7 295/30/18 in my garage. You can see it with the naked eye. I know it sounds crazy, but the R1S is just a fat, blocky, crazy-ass barely "DOT" fricking tire hahahaha

I just hand measured the 285 R1S against a 305 Pirelli DH I have here too unmounted. Their tread widths are within 1/16" of each other......how crazy is that?
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50