JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14_kev View Post
Couple things:
Test pipes are ~200 on the used market and 400 brand new. If you can DIY the secondary cat gutting, you have the tools to DIY the test pipe install as well. If not, then the secondary cat delete will require similar / more labor for a shop to do.

Power/Tq gains from test pipes are substantially more.

Test pipes are fully reversible as long as you keep the stock cats. The secondary cat delete will be more of a permanent mod. This is something to keep in mind if you're worried you won't like the result.

Plus side to secondary cat delete:
Test pipes will throw a CEL without a tune, secondary cat will not.

Secondary cat gutting will look stock underneath.
I get that test pipes are relatively cheap, I was just looking at some other options and what not. I wasn't aware that the hp/torque values would be greater with test pipes compared to gutting the cats so thanks for pointing that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspecter View Post
I'm probably just only considering primary cat delete. At first I didn't really want to mess with the cats, but with test pipes it'll be inevitable, which means I'll need to get a tune to deal with the CEL and to pass NY state inspection which is a pain in the ass.

My brother has a heavily modified C63 AMG and I cannot deal with the smell that it makes. I cannot drive behind him at all and when I ride inside the car with him, the smell makes it unbearable. The smell is a huge concern for me, which is why I'm a bit hesitant.
We're in the same boat, I don't want to delete both cats for two reasons; 1) it may be too loud, 2) My fiance would never ride in it due to the smell (maybe that's a good thing, she already hates it lol!)

That is kind of the reason why I was considering just a secondary cat delete, since it has the lower value cell the change would be less drastic then a primary cat delete. Decisions, decisions.... Let me know what you end up going with.
Appreciate 0