Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT coupe white/beige

Garage List
Ginetta G57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I've been looking into it since a bunch of people have been telling me I should do it. If I've done the math correctly, I believe my car can get into TT1. I just wanna stay out of TTU. There's a guy in SoCal with a Ginetta G57 that shows up in TTU and is 12-20 seconds faster than everyone else at every track......He consistently does 1:38's at Buttonwillow.....it's just silly for an M3 to be in TTU against a G57....

I was going through dyno readings calculating average horsepower across the points in the RPM band. Using the average hp calc, I should be fine to get into TT1.

I was looking online at the NASA TT results for SoCal tracks over the last few seasons. My lap times seem fine for being competitive in TT1.

So, I'm thinking about it. Trying to sort out my 2019 track calendar now. Not sure what I'll do just yet.
I drove in that race at Buttonwillow. It is a G57-P2 prototype and competitive with LMP2 cars like Ligier. He passed me on the outside on high speed sweeping corners with a huge speed differential. I was racing the EXR car, a Mitjet LV02 which runs EO class. There are many classes all out there at the same time just like an IMSA race where prototypes are running the same time as production cars. You have to keep in mind there are class rules and anything that doesn't fit in the class rules goes in unlimited which is what TTU is. Only another prototype or a formula car will compete with that G57-P2.
If you are going to run a production based car in unlimited class just accept you are out there to have fun. I considered buying a Ginetta G55 which is a popular GT4 car in the UK and Europe. 1100 KG tube frame purpose built race car with a 380 HP Ford 3.7 liter motor, they can't run in GT4 classes here because our USA GT4 is a production based class.
Porsche, BMW, Audi GT4 will be heavier and are street cars modified for GT4. They are starting to run the Ginetta G55 in Pirelli World Challenge but I am sure they are putting in weight ballast or other changes to slow them to the speed of the other GT4 cars.