SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvegas65b40 View Post
The driver's side differential bolt snapped on my 2011 E90 M3 (DCT) about a week ago, car has 29,000 miles.

This happened while full throttle on 2nd gear and letting off close to redline, while engine braking just after that there was a horrible grinding sound, i immediately stoped to see if i could notice anything wrong, i did not though.
Got the car home slowly (fortunately really close) and this grinding sound only came while engine braking.

I'm really scared because some people had to replace the differential or even the subframe.

Should i replace bushings and all the bolts even though only one broke?

Thanks.
Yes. You should definitely replace all differential bushings and bolts, and potentially upgrade the diff bushing stiffness to prevent it from happening again. The subframe has to come down so it is a good time to upgrade to solid aluminum subframe bushings too.
Subframe doesn't have to come down to replace the diff bush but it is an opportune time to replace the subframe bush too as you'll have to drop the driveshaft/axles and pull the diff to change the diff bush.