Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
Yes or any other stroke. I've seen some engines pushed to 94.5mm which is beyond my comfort zone even on an N/A motor. The one I'm building up now is 94mm N/A non-NOS and I don't really even like that. IMO, not enough benefit going beyond 92.5 in most cases. You really need to oversize from 92mm to get into clean Alusil to hone/expose properly, if you ever look at a disassembled S65 or S85, you'll note the cylinder wall roughness is not the same all the way down. The OEM blocks are honed smooth all they way down, but the Alusil exposure process is only done to the depth of the skirt's max travel, not all the way down. This leaves a rougher surface finish at the upper portion (desirable) and near mirror at the bottom. This makes a losing proposition out of re-exposing the Alusil in the upper area for an increased stroke.

The other two motors I'm doing are both 92.5mm, but I have an S65 block with a spun main bearing that is going to be a science project block. Decking the bedplace and lower block, line bore/hone, recut sealant channel and then aiming for cylinder bores around 92.2mm. There's a minimum amount that needs to be bored/honed to get into fresh Alusil and my goal is to find out how little I can make that happen.
NERD!!

Is it wrong that this stuff excites me?

I am a strange man.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11500.00