View Single Post
      01-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #450
J-Suo
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
The best way to remove is to loop a wire under where the harness plugs in and force it upwards and trapping the wire against the coil body (as per the picture). It's very easy. It happened to one of the coils against the firewall, and that's what I did. You can glue the top back, if you still have it and continue to use, but use the method I told you to remove in the future. The top is only there to attach the BMW special tool and Peter's plug remover. Under it is all protected. But super-gluing the top will keep the dust off. Good luck!
I just did my first spark plug change on my new-to-me E92 M3, and it seems the shop that worked on it last borked it pretty good. All coils had misaligned rubber sleeves that made them monstrously tough to pull out, and all the plug threads were coated top-to-bottom in a sticky black tar (presumably from ill-advised use of lots of anti-sieze compound).

At any rate, like many here I bought the sweet Division M coil puller tool, but the backs snapped right off the coils. So I rigged up a little tool of my own using a couple heavy-gauge guitar strings and a threaded rod. Not as quick or simple as throwing a fat loop of wire under the wire harness plug, but for the amount of force needed I'd wager this works a bit better as it pulls evenly/straight out, instead of from one side. Hopefully I'm the only one unlucky enough to ever need this, but if you drew the short straw like I did, this works perfectly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tqe9w8dw1..._3258.JPG?dl=0

Edit: Nothing against the Division M tool—it works great now that the new coils are installed correctly. Will come in handy in another 37,000 miles.
Attached Images

Last edited by J-Suo; 01-03-2017 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: ^
Appreciate 2
M3MPH1S592.00