View Single Post
      12-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #448
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
You must have an iron grip or something! I did my plugs this weekend and used the M Division tool and even with that thing every single coil pack was a struggle.

Anyways, I have an ESS 625 kit and the driver's side was insanely difficult to change. Just getting the damn cover off took forever. I will NEVER do this job again!

Also, getting the passenger side plug out was a real struggle. There is NO room to get your hands in there and I had just about every tool suggested in this thread.
It wasn't a matter of grip strength, I promise! I too used the M-Division tool to pull 7 out of 8 plugs, and the ones that I did use it on required quite the pull so my experience was no different on that front. When I used it on the rear-most passenger side coil (the super pain-in-the-ass one), I managed to break the circular plastic piece that the M-Division tool hooks onto clean off the coil pack. Like I said, I thought I was fucked at this point, and was about to call it a day; I'm glad I decided to give it a shot on a whim with my bare hands, just wiggling/rocking it back and forth many times, all while spinning it upwards. The only thing that holds it in there and creates tension is that rubber piece that acts sort of as an o-ring/grommet, so it makes sense that while it takes significant force to unseat it if you're trying to pull it straight up and out, it's much easier to wiggle/rock it loose while spinning it and pulling upwards on it. Think of it like getting a stuck cork out of a bottle; rock that bad boy back and forth as you pull up on and spin it and it comes out way easier than just hulkishly pulling up on it in one linear direction.
Appreciate 0