View Single Post
      08-21-2008, 11:55 PM   #88
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
Come on, man... do you really believe this? Either this is all a little tongue-in-cheek or you don't have that much experience.
Dancing on the line of friction whilst trail-braking into a turn requires more skill than you may realize.

Are you still using stock pads on the track?
yes - still stock - I will find out soon if they fry at Cal Speedway. my e46 m3 with stock pads had bad fade and warped the rotors there. after going to Hawwk pads the stock brakes were fine with new fluid once a year. been tracking and autocross since 1994.

and yes - trail braking requires skill - but its not full-on at the limit braking so it doesnt really matter if you had stock or BBK to trail brake. except that a multi piston caliper maygive you better brake feel.

what takes the most skill is braking to the proper maximized entry speed, while keeping the car balanced. and maximizing mid corner speed and therefor getting the most out of exit speed. most peeps slow down the car too much at braking and loose too much entry speed.

as far as "who needs brakes they just slow you down" its sorta T in C but its also close to a famous Quote by Jackie Stewert on why he was faster than many in his day. he used less brakes and there fore higher entry and midcorner speed.