04-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_phox View Post
I saw this, but i figured it was normal, but then again, i never saw this happen on other youTube vids of other folks run. This was the 2nd of two runs we did and this happend both times with the coolant sign.
He had the hood raised and the floor fan turned on and nothing more. Was there suppose to be something else for cooling?
Yes, see here - and I've even seen larger cooling systems. Preferably, they provide air from the outside. Many tuners' dynos are rubbish.

Cooling is the critical factor for measuring a car's power. You would have to reach an airflow of about 120mph in order to simulate the car operating on the street. With our M3, the air intake is through the vent on driver side of the hood which normally separates the hot engine bay from the cold outside air. With the hood open an inadequate cooling, the engine sucks in hot air from the engine bay, much like with so-called "cold" air intakes. It would be better to use an air duct for the intake with a stationary car (like this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_phox View Post
One thing that raised my attention was these numbers. It looks like the most the car is capable is 364hp. Even tho we did not reach maximum power, 364 is still WAY OFF from 414-420ph which is advertised on a stock M3 correct? My car has been tuned, which is telling me that at stock, my car produced even less than advertised....right?
I highly doubt getting the money back is possible at this point...This was a mere learning experience if anything for me. But now i kinda understand more with talking with you guys here on the post, and doing further research.
I meant "get your money back for the measurement", not neccessarily for the tune. As I said, the numbers were meaningless considering all that went wrong. All you can say is that probably your engine did <insert power number here> at 7500 RPM at which point it shut off.

Last edited by meyergru; 04-03-2012 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0