View Single Post
      01-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Arrow Photos from inside oil fil cap showing coating/metal peeling off from engine/metal

This is a second follow up to my earlier thread about the powder coating of my valve covers bubbling up on my engine and peeling off. I decided to open the oil fill cap and inspect inside and noticed a mess of black sand like substance in various areas on the metal. when I rubbed it, it flaked off in my hands and felt gritty, like sand. It appears the coating is peeling off. Why would there be coating inside the engine? Photos follow. The clean metal spot is what I rubbed off with my finger. Please forgive me for the massive photos. I will be taking the car to the dealer as soon as possible because when I pulled that mess out with my finger there were clearly shiny metal shavings in it once I rubbed through the black grit sand like mess from the wall. What does the inside metal area under the fill cap look like on your engines? Textured like mine or smooth? Anyone else have bubbles in the coating on the outside too? In the photos you will see the coating bubbled up on the outside also. Car is a 2009 built in 09/08 under BMW extended warranty still.
Thanks,
X
Attached Images