E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
dumb statement? i think not. your right, they were over an outer marker. and you are right again, usually 2100-2600 feet. i believe this airplane was at 2300ft, from what i read, at the time a "problem" occured. anyone can agree that prop planes fly lower and slower than jets. the lower you go, the more icing conditions you experience. the slower you go, the more icing builds up.

experienced pilot. youre a good guesser =)

nope, experienced pilot.

thats correct, they have de icing equipent. however, i stated before. props fly lower and slower. which means that de icing might not be enough if ice builds up that quickly, which it does.

i sure do. icing conditions are not all over alaska though.

would you agree with this statement-

a larger aircraft has more de icing elements compared to a smaller one?

i fly prop planes. they are great. i am not doubting them, i am just stating, that its KNOWN that prop planes have an issue with icing.

i know plenty. i am WELL certified. thanks for your concern.

the Dash 8 is one of, if not THE SAFEST turboprob out there. winter is one thing, but icing conditions are another

i think you all are taking what i said the wrong way. what happened to that plane, from eyewitness reports, is conclusive to icing.

a dive into a home. think about it. when an airplane experiences icing, the aircraft encounters extreme pitch up movements, which cause a stall, that could lead to a nosedive.

perfect example would be air florida, but thats what you get when you put two 23 year old inexperienced pilots in control of a 732.
this is my opinion on what happened. i would be extremely suprised if it were something else.

i didnt mean to come off the wrong way to some of you, so i apologize.
I remember that accident happened at Washington national airport....coz the 732 was lined up for takeoff for too long after its only de-icing....snow and ice accumlate on its wings during the hold....and the crew did not turn on the de-icing switch....
the aircraft had liftoff a little bit but not enough to encounter the disruption of airflow on the wings....finally crashed into freezing river....