Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
That is such a dumb statement...
We don't know what really caused the crash, could be many other things, we're speculating at this point.

And not true about the props at all. They fly all over the world in any condition without any problems...

Every crash (mostly) is due to a few factors that fall together, not just one. These guys were over the outter marker (7 mi out, usually 2100-2600 ft AGL), gear go down, Auto pilot off, and were instructed a 50 degree turn...
dumb statement? i think not. your right, they were over an outer marker. and you are right again, usually 2100-2600 feet. i believe this airplane was at 2300ft, from what i read, at the time a "problem" occured. anyone can agree that prop planes fly lower and slower than jets. the lower you go, the more icing conditions you experience. the slower you go, the more icing builds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
so the OP is the aircraft manufacturer?
an experienced pilot???
NTSB investigator?
experienced pilot. youre a good guesser =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
More likely a noob.
nope, experienced pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krote345 View Post
These jets have de-icing equipment that is made for these conditions. They have been flying this route for forever and this is the first incident that I can remember. Don't jump to conclusions before you have all of the facts. The United States aircraft accident record is pretty damn impressive.
thats correct, they have de icing equipent. however, i stated before. props fly lower and slower. which means that de icing might not be enough if ice builds up that quickly, which it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Stupid comment.
You can't make a blanket statement that prop plans in the cold cause a crash.

I've flown on turbo-props countless times between Detroit and northern Michigan in the middle of winter. You also realize prop planes are used all the time in Alaska to deliver goods.
i sure do. icing conditions are not all over alaska though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
would you agree with this statement-

a larger aircraft has more de icing elements compared to a smaller one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLS View Post
Turbo Prop planes are perfectly reliable. People fly them into alaska and land them on lakes ice fields, etc, just fine ALL THE TIME
i fly prop planes. they are great. i am not doubting them, i am just stating, that its KNOWN that prop planes have an issue with icing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
OP you need to learn a few things about flying. If ice brought the plane down, it would most likely be caused by ice on the wings. The ice build up on the wing would get so much that it would disrupt the air flow over the wings. That would disrupt lift and bring the plane down. This would have happened if it was a prop( in this case a turbo prop) or a jet if icing on the wing was the cause.
i know plenty. i am WELL certified. thanks for your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
To OP: At least 100 Dash 8s are operated by airlines in all parts of Canada, where winter in some parts of the country lasts most of the year. There hasn't been even one serious accident or hull loss involving a Dash 8 in Canada since the first one was delivered to a Canadian carrier in 1984.
the Dash 8 is one of, if not THE SAFEST turboprob out there. winter is one thing, but icing conditions are another

i think you all are taking what i said the wrong way. what happened to that plane, from eyewitness reports, is conclusive to icing.

a dive into a home. think about it. when an airplane experiences icing, the aircraft encounters extreme pitch up movements, which cause a stall, that could lead to a nosedive.

perfect example would be air florida, but thats what you get when you put two 23 year old inexperienced pilots in control of a 732.

this is my opinion on what happened. i would be extremely suprised if it were something else.

i didnt mean to come off the wrong way to some of you, so i apologize.
Appreciate 0