View Single Post
      05-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Need some bulbs?

Conventional incandescent lamp bulbs will be going away.

The standard 100 watt bulb that puts out about 1,600 lumens will be banned by Jan. 1, 2012. Then next is the 75 watt bulb to be banned Jan. 1, 2013. "Finally" the 40 watt and 60 watt bulbs will be banned starting Jan. 1, 2014.

Need any of these cheap bulbs? Stock up before then, or they will be treated like drug smuggling.

Since the government can control the amount of water used in a toilet flush or the amount of flow from the shower head, it makes sense they can control power consumption from bulbs. There is a difference in that energy efficient bulbs cost more... significantly more. A flow-restrictor for a shower head is extremely cheap. And toilets don't get replaced very often, so the cost for those is essentially once, and as far as I know, a low flow toilet is not more expensive to buy than a water hogging toilet.

I am all for using less electricity. Hopefully a better lamp bulb will be invented that is produced cheaply enough and without the flicker of fluorescents to make it into a win-win situation.

In the meantime, I'll have to build up my bulb stash. I wouldn't want to have to buy from a black market.

link for details

Last edited by scottwww; 05-17-2011 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0