09-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #35
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli024 View Post
The woman's insurance company finally took a look at my car yesterday. They estimated damages at $12,475 but do not think, at this point, it is a total loss. Fvckn a man, I would think any other insurance company would just total it. Metropolitan Collision is going to remove the sidewalls and let her insurance company inspect the integrity before they make their decision. At this point though I think I would rather them just total it. I mean, really over $12,000 of damages on a $22,000 car. Come on.
I was going to say that the insurance company would opt to repair unless you have at least $16k or $17k in damage. These days, insurance companies require closer to 75-80% before totaling the car out. Hopefully, they find some more repairs when they look closer. Make sure to let the adjuster know right up front that you will be seeking compensation for dimunition in value, which is recognized under Texas law. That could help push them over the edge if they're on the fence.

A friend of mine just had her 535i t-boned and her car is now keeping your's company over there at Metropolitan.