View Single Post
      05-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #102
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

People like to impose their personal ethics and life choices on other people and then rationalize that by creating big broad straw men "I have a RIGHT to tell YOU what to do because YOUR way is ruining MY country!"

Always lots of chest thumping with this type of topic.

My feeling is if you hate debt and want to pay everything in cash, then good for you. You're in a minority though, sorry to tell you. Debt and leverage run the planet even though you don't like it and if no one was willing to take debt, TRUST me when I tell you that cars like the M3 wouldnt even exist.

IMO thats a psychological thing. I use debt selectively and with interest rates hovering between 0% and 2.5% for the past 6 years or so, the opportunity cost of *wasting time on the argument* is ridiculous.

For me, I'm better when money is allocated towards payments. Houses, cars, 401k, bills, etc. If cash sits around we spend it too quickly on bull s h i t like eating and running around. Over the years we've paid off and sold a ton of objects that, IMO, we'd have never been able to save the cash for simply because we would have burned it.

We are not "good savers". Some people are GREAT savers. For them it is easy to just wait 5 years while saving, then take a big old block of cash, and then buy something. I assume they then sit on what they bought for 6 more years otherwise they are going to take a *catastrophic* depreciation hit. If you are a great saver, thats easy.

Since Im a horrible saver, I just buy used cars, using really low interest loans that anyone with excellent credit can get, and since I get incredibly bored very fast, I sell them within a couple of years. The microscopic amount of interest paid is part of the tax of using someone elses money to both build credit and flip cars that fast.

The supercharger is a similar question. Personally, I am "over" modding. I don't think the car like the M3 needs mods at all. But thats *me*. Everyone has their "well you MUST at least do THIS" list. So for some saying "dont supercharge it, it doesnt need it!" they'd prob say "just SLAM it and add tint and DONE!" Me? I don't think it needs *anything*, so I don't think the SC is a good idea. But thats *me*

For the OP, I'm not sure why you'd even ask something so personal on a forum just to hear wildly stated exaggerated opinions. Who cares if 99% of people pound the table and say "PAY OFF YOUR CAR YOU DEADBEAT!" or if 99% pound the table and say "M3 NEEDS A SUPERCHARGER JUST TO BE USEFUL!!!"

At your interest rate, at this stage of the loan, and talking about only $13k and not the FULL payoff, I think I'd just stay status quo. I don't think the SC is a good way to spend that kind of cash, but if YOU do, then you should.
Appreciate 0