11-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #73
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Cant agree on the M3 weighing 200-300 lbs less and nothing being able to touch it; and far from that in fact. The M3 GTS IS ~300 lbs lighter, has 30 more hp (not to mention revised DCT, wider wheels, downforce, etc) and still cant touch a BASE GT3 (from 2007 though its much newer) even though its more expensive let alone a 997 mk2 GT3. In fact, the M3 GTS doesnt even have an advantage over a 991S despite a better power to weight ratio, so this theory doesnt compute.
If a Cayman S had a GT3 motor and Porsche motorsport suspension, literally nothing would touch it, especially for the price. We can hope and dream all day about if this car had X power or weighed X less, but in this case we know how the M3 would perform based on the fact that the GTS wasnt/isnt setting any benchmarks in the least bit.

I do agree our cars would be much better with that additional weight removed, but the performance difference wouldnt be anything eye opening.

Just to add, I think dropping 200-300 lbs from our cars would also lose some of the appeal it has a a comfortable GT/sporty car. I have come to really love how this car can be a bit of everything and its extremely comfortable to boot. I think more cars are aiming to be comfortable while retaining sharp characteristics and performing better the way the e9x m3 did.
I am speaking in terms of how the car feels not numbers. Porsche has a big advantage with traction and overall size and dimensions, so yeah it would be almost impossible for a front engine rear drive car with so much power to put the power down to the ground as efficiently as Porsche cars do. I am merely stating how amazing the m3 would feel with less weight and better seats.
Appreciate 0