Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry989 View Post
All of my Costa Rica photos were taken with a Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro. 95% of the spider/insect/scorpion/opiliones photos were taken at night in the dark, where a longer lens may make it difficult to illuminate and track. I have occasional used my 70-200mm as a Macro with great results, but it usually works better with larger subjects. The longer focal lengths really helps with butterfly's and humming birds photos! I don't have an extender, but I would like to try one of these in the future.

The 90mm is a good walk around lens, razor sharp and flat field from f/4 thru f/11 and still very good at f/16 - - - great for macro where you have a very shallow DOF at close range.

Review: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/s...s-review-29635
Now that I'm in the Sony camp, I'm thinking of the fE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS. I've already got the FE 1.4x teleconverter, so I'd buy the 2.0x to go with the 70-200mm, if I buy it. The great thing about the teleconverters is that they increase magnification without changing the minimum focus distance. For macro, you could add an Extension Tube and get even closer.Of course, they use up light, so the bigger the f-stop you start with, the better.

I'm using my FE 100-400/f4.5-5.6 GM OSS, along with the 1.4x TC, but it's too slow for night shooting. Still, it's a hell of a good lense. Shooting with my Canon-buddies, they were astounded by the a9/100-400mm combo, as we chased a Northern harrier. I let one buddy hold it for a minute, while it was set on silent shutter (my default). He took 77 in-focus shots of a biker, without realizing it.