bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
You need to re-read what I said. The DCT is going to lose some of its advantage. The M3 stock and S/C has a peaky powerband, max power isn't achieved until max rpm. With a turbo kit like this, max power is achieved earlier and it holds that power level out. The DCT allows the car to stay higher up in the powerband longer/more often.

I'm not a 6MT fanboy, I like both transmissions equally; the 6MT was better for my needs and I find it more fun to drive. If I just wanted a fast car, the M3 would not be the platform I chose.
I don't blame you one bit for choosing 6MT. I actually tried to find a 6MT car, but ended up with DCT.

Never the less, staying in the power band is only one advantage of DCT. The other advantage is the speed of the shifts, and AFAIK, this is the primary reason DCT shaves time off numbers like 0-60 time. Interestingly, the faster you go 0-60, the more meaningful these savings are.

Think about it like this, if it takes you 3.8s to go 0-60, saving 0.3s in shift time puts you at 3.5s. If it takes you 4.8s to go to 0-60, saving 0.3s puts you at 4.5s. The savings at the lower elapsed time is more significant, because it represents a larger portion of the total time.

EDIT: Of course, who gives a shit about 0-60 at this level? With this kind of build, you're more than likely looking at 60-130 MPH airstrip runs, in which case the DCT shift-speed advantage isn't nearly as significant.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0