06-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #21
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I don't know what you mean by "normal" driving. Normal by what standard?...Well, maybe I've judged the road conditions, and for whatever reason I want to come to an abrupt stop. Then the dumbass technology kicks in, and I'll be cursing at the car. I'm fine with these kind of interventions when safety is an issue. But clearly, in this case, safety is not an issue. And then like you are saying, with any such system, there are always problems with recognizing events, and making false interventions, which is even more annoying. The previous poster seems to be complaining about the same thing.

Anyway, I'll have to drive the thing and then I can really let it loose on the idiot who came up with the idea. BMW engineers are great with engines, suspensions, and other core systems, and that's where they should focus their energy. Stuff like this sounds purely annoying and is somewhat typical of BMW's orientation with unnecessary technologies...
I think you've jumped to some conclusions about what you think 'soft-stop' actually is, and what it feels like, otherwise you wouldn't be dwelling on things like "normal driving" and "road conditions".

The road conditions are pretty irrelevent really. It is a minor aspect of the driving experience and therefore I go back to my original point that people are getting their knickers in a twist about something which isn't a big issue.

Just to make it clear so you know what soft-stop is. When you apply the foot brake to come to a stop, in a normal car unless you ease off very slightly on the brake, the car will come to a jerky stop. Soft-stop allows you to apply the same constant brake pressure, and for the very last fraction of a second it will release the brakes allowing you to come to a smooth stop. It is hardly noticeable.

The road conditions are irrelevent. You can still come to an abrupt stop in the same way as you would without 'soft-stop'.

I find it bizarre that you are complaining about something which you haven't even experienced yet!

I tell you. You could drive it and you wouldn't even know it was there.
Appreciate 0