View Single Post
      01-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #86
Goat Rodeo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3, '06 M3, '02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
I know it's more or less normal for folks on the Internet to accuse others of lying, as long as they're safely behind the keyboard, in Washington DC or elsewhere.

However, I genuinely want to know what MKE_M3 meant, and since's he's been present in the string, he can answer with more than single-word sarcasm.
I'm accusing you of feigning ignorance of one of the most repeated characteristics of this car in order to be in the position to provide a lesson. Please don't take offense.

I'll play. Everyone (sans yourself) talks about the "linear power delivery" of the M3. This exact phrase used by BMW themselves in their press release for the M3 CRT: "the high-revving unit provides the linear power delivery you expect from an M car." It is easy to control the amount of power to the wheels because the engine responds linearly to throttle response. A little bit of throttle, a little bit of power. A lot of throttle, a lot of power. Yet seemingly the ratio is constant; there seems to be a 1:1 ratio between your foot and how fast the car accelerates.

This is different to a car with a large peak throughout its rev range. No power, no power, no power, POWER!!! The sudden inconsistency of power application to the wheels from one moment to the other overloads available traction and the car becomes difficult to control.

The E9X is extremely easy to drive around town and in inclement weather due to this behavior. In fact to some it feels deceptively underpowered and underwhelming during test drives for this reason.

Or another way: If you smoothly and linearly accelerate, you don't spin the tires. If you smoothly accelerate and then stomp the accelerator (non-linear), you spin the tires. Isn't this obvious?

I enjoy reading your posts and find them educational. I hope you're not insulted that I think you're being purposely disingenuous -- I find it hard to believe you're not. I am hoping you will now translate my attempt into whatever the proper technical explanation may be.

Last edited by Goat Rodeo; 01-24-2013 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0