View Single Post
      06-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Any off the shelf tune is very conservative. They have to make sure people's engines don't blow up under the widest possible range of circumstances. Since Cobb started with Subarus which are more delicate than the Evo, they tune on the conservative side. A custom tune with a good tuner will yield much better results.

The Evo X is harder to tune than the older Evos. The aluminum block can't take as much abuse as the older 4G63 motors at high power. Once you reach 400whp+, you get diminishing returns and more chances to blow. And the MR's Getrag twin-clutch transmission is delicate as well. The GSR's 5 speed is much more robust.
Yeah, I know off the shelf tunes are always more conservative but that does'nt explain why STIs and 335s with Cobb tunes are running pretty close to same cars with custom tunes, as opposite to the EVOs with Cobbs which seem to be around 50whp less then custom tuned EVOs, anyway my friend wish he knew that before he bought it ,but since we have had so many good experiences with different Subys, we never tought it could be a dissapointment with the EVO.

On a side note, I just recently raced a 335i with Ams front mount, full exhaust + Cobb stg2 and I was pretty happy with the result , my stock M3 manual took 1/2 lenght when we WOT at around 50mph and it stayed like that until around 130mph where he started to really slowly close the gap and evantually take a hood on me before we stopped at probably 150mph! That was the first tuned 335 that was faster then me, but I only had 91oct in the car , usually I run 94, maybe it would've made a difference!
Appreciate 0