View Single Post
      08-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #15
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Sorry to hear it man, I feel your pain.

I'm currently going through the same thing, my Gintani stage 2 supercharged car blew the engine 2 days before a buyer was coming to pick it up. The car had upgraded rod bearings, only 10k miles on the SC/rod bearings. I decided to part out the SC, exhaust, and CF hood, put in a used donor motor, and sell it to a wholesaler just to be done with it. I paid $3k to have the supercharger removed + engine installed and $6400 for the engine.

Of course, the neverending nightmare reared its ugly head, and it turns out the new engine had some major issues. The shop told me it would cost $5800 to fix them with no guarantee that it would even work. Fortunately, I was smart enough to buy an engine that was advertised as having a 90-day warranty (AutoGator on ebay). When I sent them the repair estimate, I was really surprised that they agreed to help so easily. My choices were to spend $5800 to hopefully make it work, or to have the engine torn down and rebuilt for $10k (closer to $11k with rod bearing upgrade). Obviously, the rebuild makes more sense, so they fortunately agreed to give me $6k back from the $6400 I had paid in exchange for agreeing to drop any further claim and not file a CC chargeback or PayPal claim. I also get a one-year warranty from the shop with the rebuild, which will help with resale. I'm guessing the car will net an extra $5-7k or so with a brand new rebuilt engine with rod bearings upgraded (versus selling to a wholesaler).

My advice if you can swing it - buy the rebuilt engine that Mike Benvo is selling. Wish I had just done that from the start. In the end, it's going to be a wash cost-wise vs the route I ended up going, but it would've been a whole hell of a lot less hassle. You know you're getting an engine that is basically brand new and won't have to worry about this stuff (hopefully). Whether you want to put the SC back on again after that is up to you. Personally, I wouldn't do it again. If you blew the engine a second time you're going to hate life. FWIW, my car also had a blown engine due to rod bearings while totally stock at 25k miles and BMW covered it under warranty. There are zero guarantees with this car out of warranty.
Appreciate 4
wfdeacon881105.00
SAMM3Y3085.00
W///7504.50