07-29-2020, 09:55 PM   #1272
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
Which size rears were you running Clark?
Yoks 295/30-18. Fronts were 285/30-18 Bridgestones. Scrubbed, the fronts hold up so much better than the Yokohama 265/35-18's. If you have ever had the 295 rears, you would be shocked at the threshold of grip they offered. For anyone concerned about mixing the brands, the fronts get warm easily, while the rears on the M3 are slow to come to temp. The Yoks don't need heat to be at peak performance but their softer sidewall makes them poorer in transition. Because we have a 9" wheel up front, your choice is to go 265 square (Ido/Tony setup) which is a bit lacking putting power down in the rear but is balanced, or run a 265/295 stagger (terrible idea -- I did it -- because the rear grip overwhelms the front) or you run mixed or some other set. The mixed setup with the BS 285 fronts allows very sharp turn in up front, near matching front/rear grip to the awesome rear 295 Yoks. Biggest problem is getting someone to mount the 285 BS on 9" wheels as it a total bitch. Once mounted, magic happens. Disclaimer -- if you have a co-driver, the 285 BS can easily overheat unless you actively heat manage from run 1 as the carcass temps get high fast even if the surface temp feels like it is control. Even on the 275/35-18 square BS setup, Cashmore found out that having a co-driver in warm temps could be a detriment.

For anyone interested, I've re-listed the Schroth Quickfit harness I had in my M3 for a total steal of $150 shipped. This unit rules as you can install it in minutes and is DOT legal.