View Single Post
      07-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #54
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Tesla an EVs in general are barely above 1% of the automotive market. That speaks for itself.
It shows exactly what is already very clear and known - the EV market is still in its infancy.

In the segments where Tesla competes with the Model 3 and Model S, their sales are high - higher than some manufacturers who sell ICE vehicles in those same segments. Just like we don’t measure any other manufacturers overall performance against the total market, and then penalize them for low sales in segments where they do not have product, it does not make any sense whatsoever to do that for Tesla either.

Quote:
The current Model 3 at the trim level that Tesla produces does not beat the Bolt's range performance at the same price point, so that is a false comparison.
No. The Model 3 does not compete against the Bolt any more than a midsize ICE sport sedan competes against an ICE subcompact hatchback. The two start out with different goals and appeal to people with different priorities.

Quote:
$35K is where EVs begin to make economic sense as a purchase to the majority of the automotive market (mid point of the Bell curve).
Clearly not for everyone. That bell curve simply illustrates that most people felt $35k is a reasonable price to pay for a new vehicle. But plenty of people spend more than that. Many of them frequent this forum. I spent more than that on my vehicle to obtain a practical sedan with suitably high performance for my taste. Others have done the same. If I were to buy a Tesla, it would be for that same reason. It is that simple for me, and that simple for others - namely other Tesla customers.

Quote:
My opinion is that Tesla performed a bait and switch and never intended to produce a well-equipped Model 3 at a $35K price point.
Time will tell if you are correct.

In the meantime, the vehicles they offer today at the prices they offer them absolutely do, as point of fact by looking at the numbers, appeal to a significant number of people who shop in the segments in which those products fall.
Appreciate 0