01-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
I feel tire choices are not irrelevant, however, if a car manufacturer chooses not to equip their vehicle with a certain set of tires, well then, deal with it.
You totally miss my point - what I mean is that the performance metrics that were used in that test hugely depend on the choice of tires. The results speak more about the tire's capabilities than the car's.

The test is mostly irrelevant to anybody who uses dedicated track wheels/tires.

Quote:
I would live to drive a Z06 on those cup tires and anyone who truly enjoys driving at a high performance level would be silly not to agree.
Actually, I wouldn't. Driving that car on the street to its limit is virtually impossible, so you'd need to take it on track.

A Z06 on cup tires can achieve stupendous speeds on many tracks and should anything go wrong at over 160mph in a street car without proper safety gear, you will most likely die.

One of the reasons I don't really want to "step up" from the M3's level of performance has to do with the speeds achievable on track.

Not to mention that to drive the Z06 around daily, you'd need to swap to regular street tires anyway...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0