02-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #14
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb70 View Post
He should not have to pay for milage if he turns it in at 36K (as he stated in the original post)
BMW does not look at just the total mileage. I think Dave is correct in that the lease calls for 12k per year so if the OP is turning in a two year old car, BMW would expect 24k miles, not 36k miles on the car. When a car is leased there are expectations for the age and condition of the car upon return. That is what the residual is based on. If the mileage is higher than expected then the depreciation is higher and the residual value is lower. That's why you pay for overages on mileage in a lease, to account for the lower value of the car upon return.

Ultimately the OP simply needs to ask the folks at his dealer who handle leases and lease returns... They might be forgiving if he was buying/leasing another BMW but if he is leaving the brand they will likely not be as forgiving... What's unique here is that the OP has already paid the entire lease off so essentially he will be out of pocket the remaining 12 months of lease payments. Not sure how much BMW would be willing to return to the OP as he has "used" the entire 36k miles the contract called for.
Appreciate 0