View Single Post
      09-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #3
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

I have the same setup. Added it earlier this year. The wireless charging shelf provides no signal boost- only charging. It's QI charging and nothing else.

Other snapin adapters do give a signal boost, but they actually connect to the phone. The wireless charging shelf does not. I don't know if you noticed the unused connection on the car side of the harness, but I'm fairly certain that is for the antenna. The wireless charging shelf has no cable to connect there, as it is power only.

That being said its a great option for wireless charging in this car, and despite it being 10 years old, it still works with most modern phones. I actually just got my iphone 13 pro on Friday, and it still fits in there.

The only drawback I'll say is the charging rate is pretty slow. Makes sense considering its 10 years old, QI charging rates weren't nearly as fast back then. It makes me wonder if its possible to modify the shelf for faster charging.

I'm halfway wondering once I get my mr12volt carplay box in, if the wireless charging shelf will be able to charge faster than the rate that running wireless carplay will drain it. We'll see!
Appreciate 0