View Single Post
      09-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #99
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Galloping in Where Angels Fear to Trot

My E92 M3 had a slow DCT leak at 50000 km (30K miles), just out of warranty, and because both seals leaked they had to drop transmission so bill was about $2000, with nearly 60% spilt to parts. Initially I was livid, because the DCT oil pan is plastic, but I figured I got to change the transmission oil, which is something I wanted to do anyway, albeit this was a bit earlier than expected. At least I know the DCT fluids are good and I've now put this down as a service item every few years. Meh.

Despite this, and me proactively changing the throttle actuator gears (from a fellow who makes them using delrin and brass in the UK, which ended up being about $1400), the M3 has been cheaper to service than my wife's Benz A170 this year! The Benz which has needed new front brake pads and rotors, an air con service, plus a new exhaust gas system to replace one ten cent $@##! leaky EGR valve because it's embedded in the whole exhaust manifold plastic bit leading from the engine and you can't replace it separately (although there's one you can, this one you can't).

Anyhow, my Indy mechanic who looks after a number of m3s and 335 with DCT said the leaky transmission was more common than you'd expect. My tuppence's worth
Appreciate 0