View Single Post
      11-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #36
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
The scoop dig was only one of my points. To think you could get 50 engine hp out of bolt-ons is ridiculous.

I've been building engines longer than you've been alive. In the old days we got the biggest bang for the buck out of head work. We could get 50 hp from that due to the horrible build tolerances. Current engines are very well optimized. You'll only get meaningful improvements from capitalizing on design constraints like emission controls (catalysts) or engine life (boost controls). There ain't 50hp in the cats of an S65.

Nothing personal. I just want to slow down the spread of this BS that you can get a bunch of HP from bolt-ons.
Are you saying my results from stock to now are false? That the car hasn't on many separate occasions put down 400+whp on the same dyno it rolled in on at 340 average (on my occasions. Many others have got these results. This is nothing new. 3000 Miles away JonMartin (with my same setup minus full cat delete and 91 oct) http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=261026

Since you are significantly older then me what that tells me is that you are used to twisting a screwdriver and using a timing light to tune your car and that you are out of touch with common EFI mapping. The correct remapping of modern torque limiters, drive by wire closure restrictions, extensive VANOS mapping and different fuel and timing strategies for catalyst deletes have released major documented N/A horsepower in the S65 and S85 motor. If you can teach me something new (with supporting data) here - I'm all ears.

Don't take this as a personal attack but look at this argument as an outsider - because you are older and built some ancient motors you are single handily going to disprove what individuals and shops have been documented doing with these cars since 2008. Do you have supporting data that your custom OE tune and primary cat delete put down significantly less power? If not it really isn't an apples to apples comparison - Agreed?

Last edited by BT M3; 11-04-2010 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0