03-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #75
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65 Underdog View Post
Do you have any information on this or are you just stating your a transmission master and just know it? I am not trying to be rude I just would like to see a little more then your words. A more detailed explanation and or a link to the information would be great.

I am starting to believe BMW with the lifetime fluid though. The stuff looked new at 68K.
I added the ECS link to the suction filter #6 in the illustration so others could see what it looks like and read the description.
It is called the suction filter because it filters the fluid on the inlet side of the pump. If you look at the photo in the ECS link and #6 in the RealOEM illustration you will see it fits in the bottom of the oil pan. It is the "pick-up" and filter for the pump that moves all of the hydraulic fluid. The fluid returns to the oil pan/sump after cooling, lubricating, and shift actuation by gravity. The returning fluid will have any contaminants like friction material, synchronizer particles, gear wear metals, bushing and bearing wear metal. The contaminants are FIRST filtered by the suction filter before entering the pump. Also read what ECS says about the suction filter on their site.

The filter that is #8 is called the pressure filter because it is after the pump and is used to protect the control unit. It's filtering is secondary to the #6 suction filter. This pressure filter makes sure that the expensive electronically controlled valve-body stays clean.

I have taught automatic transmissions and power train at the college level for more than 37 years, and just trying to put my comments in perspective. Many modern automatic transmissions use a secondary filter or screen to protect the control components. The reason I purchased my 2008 E92 M3 DCT is largely to the transmission and personal interest. I have studied the pictures, diagrams, and reviewed the training materials. I do not believe that Getrag would use a "window screen" material for the suction filter and allow all on the contaminates to be run through the pump only to be filtered by the pressure filter. That probably doesn't make sense to you either? or do you believe that the suction filter doesn't actually have filter material inside?

Did you pull the transmission pan when you did your fluid change?
With your "clean used fluid" you might only have a very limited amount of clutch debris in the pan. This is also true for many modern automatic transmissions.

If we can get someone to cut open their used suction filter and snap a few pictures we might get a true picture of the contamination collected.
Also take the diagram and pictures to a quality automatic transmission rebuilder and ask "which will get dirty first?"
Appreciate 0