View Single Post
      03-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

ISTA D/P/+: pardon the newb questions

So am thinking of getting an ISTA setup to do some basic diagnostics on my M3 as well as doing some basic programming/etc.

Lots of info out there of course, but wanted to get some pointers from folks that have gone down this route.

1) First, to confirm, ISTA/D is for diagnostics only?...and if I wanted to register my battery, I have to go with ISTA/P?

2) ISTA+ is just the updated version, which adds in capabilities for the F-series platform?

3) I hear a lot about people saying to go with an external power supply in order to have clean power during coding. Is this recommended only when flashing the DME?...or is a power supply needed for basic coding of individual modules?

4) What setup are people using........a) I've seen shareware versions of ISTA that people are downloading, b) and then of course a bunch of SW available for sale on Ebay, and c) some more ISTA kits that some folks are selling, that include the SW and cabling.

For example,
https://rheingoldusa.net/conc/index.php/buy-now

5) BTW, is there a difference when people talk about "programming" their M3 vs. "coding" their M3? Am I to assume programming means changing basic settings on the vehicle (like those available on a standard drop-down) vs. coding means programming in features that are not normally available on the car?

Appreciate any advice in advance.....and at least I'm posting this to the right forum and not trying to spam the General session on this.
Appreciate 0