View Single Post
      02-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #133
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

So a co-worker of mine just bought the new M3. And I have to admit it is nice. It is fast...it is smooth...it is high tech...it's comfortable...

The exhaust note was HORRENDOUS at first, but once you put it in sport plus mode, the sound substantially improves and isn't so bad.

As we rode around in it (acting like hooligans of course...doing burn outs and flying down the autobahn at 160 mph) I began to wonder about my E92.

I just bought mine back in October. I began to wonder if I had made a mistake. Should I have sprung for the new model?

So I asked myself, "how could I characterize the difference between the two cars?"

If I had to wrap it up into one word...

The new F8x is more...

Refined.

We returned to the parking lot at our office, and as he parked his M3 next to mine, I took a few moments to look at them side by side. Both are attractive cars, and admittedly the F8X models have some nice lines.

But not once did I feel like my E92 looked dated next to the newer model.

The doubt about my own vehicle still lingered in my mind.

I got in the car, looked out of the window at m co-workers F82, and fired up my beast.

The S65 roared to life...

...and all doubt was immediately drowned out by that intoxicating V8 sound.

As I drove home for the day (feeding some speed to my car of course), I began to understand better what some of you all have been saying on this forum.

The E9x has "character!" It is a car that induces an emotional response when you drive or even ride in it (and not just the emotion of fear from going insanely fast). The car has personality.

And so I would define the new M3 (haven't experienced the M4) as refined...

...but bland by comparison.

It is an incredible machine, but it seemed like a luxury car first, and a sports car second.

My E92 feels the opposite.

------

Now I admit that I haven't driven the new M3 yet, and so my comparison is potentially biased. I am considering just going to the local dealer to drive one so that I can confirm or deny my initial assessment. If I do, I will comment here.

With all that said...I am not sure I really have the desire to drive one after having ridden in it. I'll have to say that my curiosity/fascination with the new M3/4 substantially decreased after having ridden in it.