View Single Post
      03-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
^ what zx10guy said. There are a few other threads on IP cams as well in Off Topic.

I recently went Hikvision but went wired. WiFi isn't a primary choice for me personally but understand that running Cat6 may not be ideal for some (WiFi is 'easy').

I don't have a lot of ambient lighting around me at night and the cameras are fairly high although on 1st floor soffits so I'm also looking into getting an IR illuminator for 2 camera locations. Camera quality is great in normal lighting conditions, though.

Did manage to catch a coyote on camera on my sidewalk about a month ago, probably 10ft from the front door. Found that....interesting.
I'm surprised you're not getting decent performance in terms of distance from the Hikvision cameras at night. I don't have any complaints about mine. I have a camera monitoring the sliding glass door on the walkout from my basement at the back of the house. It's pretty dark back there and I can see all the way to the my fence about 30 ft or so away. I also have one of the cube cameras in my garage. In the pitch dark, I can still make out decent details of items in my garage.

I tweaked some of the settings based on the information I got from the Network Camera Critic website with his reviews of the cameras I have.
Appreciate 0