09-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #30
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli024 View Post
It is going through her insurance and I have still not heard. Apparently the damages do not qualify as a total loss, but it is close and an adjuster still needs to go have a look. I feel like they are not doing anything. Can I go through my own insurance and have them deal with this or would that not be smart? Would my rates go up more if I decided to go through my insurance? Anyone know?
Do NOT go through your own insurance or even contact them. When I was with Geico, I contacted my insurance twice about possible claims, neither of which Geico ever had to pay out on (one was covered by other driver's insurer other was uninsured motorist that I paid out of pocket to fix). A year later they raised my rates, even though neither accident was my fault and neither accident cost them anything. Technically, there's no supposed to be able to do that, but practically speaking, they can do whatever they want. Insurance companies are the devil. The more you can keep them in the dark, the better off you are. Just keep calling and harassing the old lady's insurance company and the adjuster once one is assigned.