01-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #103
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Actually I think Audi did that in their new TT V8.

They all have to do some magic tricks to keep things smooth and expensive feeling, which adds weight and complexity. Vettes have always had mid-twenties highway MPG's, don't see where this one really improves the numbers that much. In the case of the Vette it has more to do with very low weight, very tall gearing (which works well with a torquey engine) and relatively low drag.

When you take a Vette engine and install it into a heavy sedan body, you get a highway fuel economy similar to the M3's.

Anecdotal, but during my Euro Delivery when I was driving very long stretches of highway I was averaging over 21mpg in the M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro1 View Post
Everything I have read states they abandoned that project. I'm sure it has a lot to do with cost and weight savings, but these trannys are where it's at now and in the future. I think they really need to invest in one. Just look at bmw, porsche, ferrari... The AMG MCT speedshift tranny is also pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
I concur. I did not like the SMG but DSG is totally different all together IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
it's not difficult to get MPGs in the low 20's on the M if you're not driving too spiritedly. Most of my road trips average anywhere from 21-23mpg with a fully loaded car. that's not how the EPA rates it though.

the last Vette was rated at 26mpg - this new one is supposed to be higher than that (close to 30). therefore, if you drive it reasonably, I'll bet you that you could get just over 30mpgs on the highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
I find all the enthusiasm on this thread a bit premature. Sure the appearance is surprisingly beautiful, but the rear still sucks. I would also wait for some road tests from reputable sources, particularly as to suspension function during mid corner, as well as steering feedback and feel. We all know the engine, although with ancient technology compared to my E90, is fantastic, but what will be the true driving experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post
We have seen some folks report 30MPG on the highway in a C6Z06. I myself have seen 26 as the best ever. My average is 17 but i have no mercy when i drive.

One would think C7 can easily do better than C6.
The driving experience is what corvette traditionalists require. It's rash to expect the corvette to perform as good as or better than the M3. (subjective) The vette's gearing/performance is perfect for its targets in the continental US.

People keep forgetting that 98% of car owners (no matter what brand) do not take their cars to the track.

In a country where the majority of roads are straight, a track oriented car like the M3 is just wasted. Take this forum for example, please spend upto $70k getting a 414hp/295tq car to only desire more power. Case and point, the infatuation with supercharging which adds anywhere from $15-25k on top of the car.

All this would've been great if the frame of the M3 could take the extra power-anybody forget the E46 M3 debacle? These cars are not built to handle gobs of torque without proper reinforcements. This was validated during my visit to a reputed indy shop in Philly that specializes in beemers.

Last edited by checkmate; 01-18-2013 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0