03-14-2023, 08:06 AM   #77
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I wonder if the interior rattle hoopla is due to how quiet the cabin is? All my cars have interior rattles (MB and BMW included).
No. There's a lot of rattle areas. A lot of Model 3's will all get a rattle in the drivers side dash in the corner near the A pillar. If you google there's hundreds of videos and threads as it's really annoying. The common fix is to put foam tape around the left speaker and for some people that fixes it. For me it didn't and it's a really bad rattle. If you have a model 3 this is a good link for when you will have to fix it but it doesn't work for everyone.

I had the most common seat rattle that's a pretty easy fix as you remove the seatback and push back up one of the grommets that has fallen down. Still I get a seat rattle depending on how far back the seat is set. If I move it forward a few mm it's gone so I just have it moved up a little closer to the pedals than I would like but it's not too bad. I also have one in the steering wheel column that I will take up in the spring. There are honestly so many that I'm going to tackle them one at a time to isolate them rather than go hard at all of them.

Then there's the various front suspension noises. It's not terrible on my car (I only have 10k km's on it) but at slow speeds there's some creaking from the front upper control arms that are on the umpteenth revision on a bad design where water gets into the ball joint. Supposedly there's an all new aluminum design going into newer 2023 cars that's properly sealed. I expect I will get those when mine start getting the dreaded loud squeaks as for a lot of owners it will be inevitable over time and you just hope it happens while you are still under warranty so it's not out of pocket although I have heard of some out of warranty owners getting the upper control arms replaced out of warranty because the issue is so widespread. Meyle has developed an upper control arm that is much more robust and I may go this route as they use a larger ball joint and it's completely sealed from the elements unlike the Tesla one.

https://www.meyle.com/en/passenger-c...rol-arm-tesla/

I actually like the car overall but the build quality is what drives a lot of Tesla owners crazy and if they really put an effort into improving this stuff rather than pumping out every car as fast as they can I feel they could transition to more of a desirable product rather than a product of convenience for people that want to get into an EV.
Appreciate 3
chad86tsi1605.00
Reborn_298.00
KRS_SN13520.50