09-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #42
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
The 570S comes with a p zero corsa tire which has a tread wear of 60 (vs the pirellis on the 911 which are 220). It is by all accounts as good as any other cup tire or streetable or track/completion tire if not better. So it's tires were plenty aggressive and overall as aggressive as anything in the test sans the ACR.
The tire itself is aggressive, the sizes are puny in comparison to what other cars are running, especially with that much HP and TQ.

Fronts are only 225/35-19. The rears are only 285/30-20.
What I was referring to was going a bit wider both front and rear to get a more organic grip from wider tires. Yes, they are corsa tires, but very narrow nonetheless.
For comparison, the Camaro 1LE has a 285/30-20 front and 305/30-20 rear.

Again, I'm just pointing out that this car laid down a stellar lap on relatively small rubber.

To that end: I've said this from the beginning, the NSX has lost its soul. It is complicated to be complicated and in the end, it doesn't fair very well as a "drivers car." It has similar HP figures as the McLaren and has all the fancy hybrid/electric motor drivetrain and still can't hang with the McLaren in terms of shear pace. Yes, the NSX weighs more because of all the tech, but in the end - is it necessary? What if Honda would have got rid of all the electronic drivetrain and AWD and left it just as a normal RWD and a TT-V6? It would have lost several hundred pounds and possibly had been a more rewarding car along with possibly a quicker car. It would have cost a lot less too. I know, there are a lot of "possibly's" there, but you can't help but notice how similar the 570S is to the NSX when you peel back all the tech.

It's like Porsche making the statement that the GT3/RS cars will only be offered with a PDK transmission because it's the fastest way around the track. They never asked if the enthusiasts who actually buy the car even care about the "ultimate" track time and are more worried about driver involvement. Hence, the 911R selling out almost instantly and now changing hands for many hundreds of thousands of dollars above MSRP and Porsche going back on their word and will be offering a GT3/RS with a manual in the future. In the end, it's much easier for Porsche to develop a manual transmission and offer it in these cars than it is for Honda to re-engineer the entire car to get rid of all the hybrid-drivetrain.

I know that hybrids and electric cars are the future, but it just doesn't seem to work here.
Appreciate 1
Bucki14155.50