View Single Post
      12-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #111
Ranger8
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, R1250GSA, R 1250RT

While Design is a very subjective matter BMW has lost key elements of its brand identity. Some of it may have to do with the fact that their focus shifted to export markets. Their past great cars were developed predominantly for the German/European market. Nowadays they built cars developed for China, the US and other emerging markets. Luxury and gimmicks are more important than sportiness to most buyers in those markets.
The sure footed handling and sweet sound of their in line 6's are no longer the norm and reliabilty is average.
While researching the M40i I had an opportunity to drive the new 540i. I was truly schocked how dead and lifeless that car felt. The steering was numb and felt disconnected. Huge dissapointment.
My last 5 series, many moons ago, was the E 34 (535i), spruced up with some engine goodies it was a real fun, and reliable car at the time. The E39 was already a "watered" down BMW and I moved away from the brand mostly for that reason. BMW used to be the antidote to Mercedes Benz by building relativ luxurious cars with amazing feel and handling. Those days seem to be over.
Fortunately,(for me) the new X3 M40i has some of that old spunk that BMW used to infuse into their vehicles. I realize its an SUV but I found it to be more engaging and more practical overall than some of the other options on my short list. it feels a lot more like the BMW of yore than most of their current line up, M series excluded.
I hope BMW won't turn the new 3 series into what their 5 series has become. That would be a real shame.
Appreciate 2