Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
M Performance Sound is too big for basic video cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Since I use this car mostly for long trips, interior noise is critical to me. Car is pretty noisy already, so exhaust can be a bit louder inside, but NOT above road/wind noise, or overall interior noise would be even more.
M Performance Exhaust adds almost no drone (most noticeable at 2k rpm). Inside the car, it's quite quiet at low rpms. At high rpms it's definitely louder, but it's hard to distinguish from the sound coming directly from the engine.

Standing outside the idling car, it's definitely louder and more rumbly, especially if you are within eyesight of the pipes. It's a quieter effect standing next to or in front of the car.

Driving windows down through vertical rock canyons I got the best sense of how the car sounds under hard acceleration. It's a beautiful roar with harmonics (i.e., multiple notes) that you just don't hear on the videos. I like it more than other exhausts I've heard in person and known what I was hearing (Dinan, UUC, Eisenmann, Meisterschaft GT2). I am still intrigued by Vorsteiner and Akrapovic Evolution (which as a full system is another animal altogether, I realize), and have heard other E9x-series M3s with sweet notes, but I definitely have absolutely no regrets in getting the M Performance Exhaust.

I will get some drive-by video in a couple of weeks at a track event, but I am not sure how true to life the sound will be. Maybe it will take recording it with a quality mic and a Nagra to capture any sense of the nuances within the roar.
Appreciate 0