View Single Post
      12-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You should also use some penetrating lubricant. Some are marketed specifically for penetrating and loosening threads. I don't recall if you can or can't get some into the threads from the back, probably not. Not much of the lube might get past the seat of the bolt but you need every small thing on your side. Also make sure you buy a good quality socket that won't break (Snap-on is one of the best). You can also try some very strong blows to the bolt with a hardened steel punch (then back to the socket and breaker bar extension as noted above). If the bolt does break you can probably extract it yourself. Try to get all of the other bolts and wheel off. Then try the following:

1. Use an extraction tool. Drill a hole with a carbide drill bit (special bit for strong/hard materials) then force feed a reverse threaded extraction bit into the hole.
2. Both heat from a torch and penetrating lubricant will significantly help loosen the broken stud along with the extraction tool.

If all of this is way too much, just take it to any good mechanic. Don't let a hack ruin parts on your car though as that is somewhat likely in cased like this.
Awesome I'm goNna try all of that I appreciate the help man
Appreciate 0