United_States
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Thanks again for doing these... I wish the Harrop was cheaper, because the comparison between the VT1-550 kit and the Harrop makes me think Harrop all day... price ignored. :/ But, with the ESS VT2-625 kit coming in similarly priced, and making significantly more power 6000-8000rpm... it'd be hard to justify the Harrop kit without significant discounting involved.

That said, for a purely street car, I bet the Harrop feels faster in a lot of situations, unless you have the room to rev out. (I've owned a few cars that were faster than my e92 M3 - Z51 C7, tuned 997 turbo, tuned f80 and I always appreciated the large belt of midrange torque.)
I can tell you I have trouble getting on the gas hard in 2nd, 3rd, and to a lesser extent 4th gear above 4500-5000 rpm so I can't image how difficult it would be with this harrop kit.

I am very familiar with the TVS kits as my old car (B8 S4) had one and it made great power down low and felt very linear with a tune that kept the bypass valve closed. It was an extremely fun car to drive around the street! It also showed well at the drag strip, knocking out a 11.7 @ 119mph, on race gas.

With that said however, I would figure it would get frustrating having so much torque down low and not having awd to get the power down... I find it frustrating modulating the throttle above 4500-5000 rpm to avoid going sideways I can only image how annoying it would be at 2500 rpm!

To me, the Harrop kit seems to better resemble the power band of the F80 M3/M4 and I've seen them struggle with traction issues, hopping curbs and such...
I have a ton of grip w/ my 295 Advan R's. Especially in comfort mode. It's really not a problem.

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0