M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post
Wouldn't be better to get a 71" wing for your car? Mine is 67" too. Nice driving BTW!
Thanks!

Regarding aero----(Disclaimer: I've only been experimenting with aero on my car for the last couple years, so as I like to always say, I'm not an expert on this topic.) In my experience, I have learned that a very important part of aero is the balance between the front aero and the rear aero. What I have found in these last couple years is that, with a 67" wing, I am not wishing for rear downforce. What I wish, EVERY TIME I GET IN THE CAR, is that I had more front downforce. So, while 71" might get me a bit more rear downforce, I would be concerned that I cannot balance it out with more front downforce.

Have you seen the front of my car? I have done every single thing I can to get that front to hold as much as I can---lip, splitter, canards, hood vents, cutouts in wheel arches.....the only thing I have held back on is a longer splitter, which I know would be more effective, but I don't trust myself to rip the damn thing off with an off-track excursion. So, practicality is holding me back with the splitter length.

There's a few other things to consider that might be viable alternatives to a massive wing that creates more drag:

-We could consider a more powerful wing than a GT-250. The GTC-300 provides even more downforce given the same size as a GT-250. But again, can you balance it out?

-I guess active aero could be considered, although I've never looked into it. It might solve the balancing problems at high speeds in rounders.

-We could consider a rear diffuser. Interesting possibilities there, but seems to require quite a bit of custom work.

-We could consider a flat bottom. LOTS of custom work.....

I find the topic of aero very interesting. I love what it did to my car, and my approach is very simple. It's clear that a sophisticated aero setup could really boost a car's performance, but it seems that on this platform, the sophisticated setups are not readily available for purchase. I'm really curious to drive my new hood vents at Buttonwillow!!
I know the exhaust paths are different because 335i but I've been eyeing these guys. Flat bottom. Easily detaches.
Attached Images