View Single Post
      01-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #555
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm always fearful that I won't be able to find open laps in these kinds of formats, but your video seems to indicate that you don't have problems with that.

You mentioned something about going from slower to faster tires. So, if you had been running a less grippy tire and were being gridded as such, and then you show up with super awesome stickers, and you've been watching everyone else's times and you know you'll be 3-4 seconds faster on the new tires, do you ask if it's possible to be gridded higher? Or do you just try to leave a gap and sort it out on track?

I went to the NASA TT website and was starting to dig around. I found the TT Class Calc. The max my car has dynoed is 550. I'm sure an average hp would be lower. For competition weight, what is the rule on gas in the tank? At 16 gallons, the tank could hold up to 100 lbs in fuel.....I based it on half a tank, so a full tank would be 50 more lbs.

Does it look like I'm filling the sheet out correctly? Am I missing anything?

And what is the NASA PT TTC-F Class Calculator for? What does PT stand for?

(I'm laughing that having a sedan might be the thing that keeps me out of Unlimited! hahaha!)

The rule on weight is that whatever weight you declare you have to be above at the end of your session. So as an example, my declared min weight this year was 3005. My car with me in it and full tank of gas is usually about 3025. Assuming a gallon of gas is about 6 lbs and and the car does 6 mpg, I should be ok at 4 laps. However that cuts it close so I added a 25 lb lead brick just to give a bit more flexibility in case the scales read light.

PT is performance touring. It is the racing version of the TT letter classes.

ST is super touring. It is the racing version of the TT number classes.

If someone puts on stickers, we usually will talk to each other about swapping grid spots or coordinating a pass early. Sometimes I'll just try to leave a bigger gap. It depends on if I know the person. I will say that when I did VIR with their NASA region I ended up wasting my magic sticker laps because the two guys in front of me wouldn't let me by and I didn't know them well enough to try to make a pass in the corners. However, in my region (TX), I have never had an issue getting clean laps on sticker or faster tires.
Appreciate 0